Our Tokyo Curry (Japanese curry loaded with ground beef) provides a perfect shortcut for making Curry Mabo. No need to try to locate the chef in Nordopolica ; we have the recipe right here!
The original Chinese dish of Ma Po blends ground beef or pork and tofu with a numbingly spicy Sichuan black bean sauce. By contrast, the Japanese variation of “Mabo Tofu” tends to be milder and somewhat sweeter. Add the blend of 23 curry spices and the resulting dish assumes a rich and complex flavor.
Leftover Tokyo Curry and Rice.
Package of Mabo Tofu Sauce from your local Asian supermarket (your choice of “hotness”)
14 oz block of Medium Firm Tofu, sliced into 1/2″ cubes
1/4 cup of Green Onions, sliced into 1/4″ segments
1. Place the leftover Tokyo Curry in a saucepan and heat over medium high heat.
2. Mix in the Mabo Tofu sauce to taste (exactly amount is not critical)
3. Gently stir in all the tofu. Sprinkle green onions on top.
4. Continue to gently stir while cooking until green onions have slightly wilted.
5. Put the leftover rice in a microwave safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and heat in microwave until the rice begins to let off steam. Remove from microwave and take off the plastic wrap.
5. Pour the curry mabo mixture over the rice.